Every day you work, there's a possibility you’ll meet new individuals, some of whom you have had no prior interaction with. Some of these people may hold hygiene and cleanliness standards that differ from your own. It is little wonder that the average office desk has about 400 times more bacteria than a toilet seat.
Unfortunately, many professionals overlook the cleanliness of the workplace and its impact on their operations. They do not see the need to outsource cleaning services and simply stick to ineffective cleaning practices. Hiring a commercial cleaning company isn't a hollow gesture; it's a strategic investment that can transform your company's productivity.
In this article, we will delve into the remarkable influence of commercial cleaning on employee morale and productivity. Read on as we reveal insights into this formidable success driver in the corporate world.
The Benefits of Comprehensive Cleaning in the Workplace
As of the end of 2022, the commercial cleaning industry was responsible for at least 3 million jobs in the US. Aside from providing jobs, commercial cleaning companies ease the burden of cleaning for many homeowners and office managers.
The pros of using a commercial cleaning service go beyond having a tidy environment. Its benefits transcend the workspace and have a tangible effect on employees and their workflow. Some of these benefits are:
- Safety: Comprehensive cleaning minimizes hazards and reduces the chances of accidents and injuries. This translates to a safer working environment for your employees.
- Increased Productivity: A clean workspace is usually organized and free from clutter that can cause distractions and reduce employees' efficiency.
- Improved Employee Health: Regular cleaning will reduce the spread of germs and allergens, resulting in a healthier workforce. There'll be fewer sick days and more productive, healthier employees.
- Better Brand Perception: A clean work area reflects a company's commitment to high standards and professionalism. It can enhance the company's image, instill confidence in employees, and leave a positive impression on clients and visitors.
- Reduced Stress: To improve your employees' mental health and physical well-being, you owe them a clean workstation. That way, they can channel their energy toward their work rather than worrying about a dirty office.
- Higher Morale: There's a sense of pride and professionalism that comes from working in a workspace that is cared for; it positively influences employee morale and job satisfaction.
How to Create a Clean, Safe, and Productive Environment
Statistics show that there are at least 160 million victims of work-related illnesses and about 340 million occupational accidents every year. These numbers reveal the amount of work that needs to be done to protect employees from harm.
There has to be a great deal of intentionality to create a clean, safe, and productive environment. It requires commitment and practicable strategies to maintain high standards.
Your workplace will always be clean and safe if you arm yourself with the right tips and maintain consistency. Here are some things you can try:
- Use Commercial Cleaning Services: There’s no end to emphasizing the importance of outsourcing your cleaning. Working with professionals will make it easy to get the necessary cleaning supplies, set up a cleaning schedule, and use eco-friendly products. You don’t have to break the bank to work with a cleaning company. Many professional cleaners have several cleaning plans that fit your budget and keep your work environment cleaner for longer.
- Identify High-Traffic Areas: Some parts of an office are constantly bubbling with activity no matter the time of day. There’s often a higher risk of infection or contamination in these areas than in any other part of the office. You can ensure that the entire work environment remains safe and clean by disinfecting and cleaning high-traffic areas. That way, you can minimize the spread of germs and toxins around the workplace.
- Prohibit Food in Some Areas: To create a safe and productive environment, you need to prohibit food and drinks from some parts of the facility. Set up guidelines to prevent spills that could pose potential safety risks and compromise equipment. In some cases, it would be best to restrict eating and drinking to the cafeteria or a lounge.
- Involve Your Employees: Sometimes, employees ruin the efforts of cleaning companies with their constant littering and lackadaisical attitude toward trash. It's important to remind them of the importance of having a clean office. You can start by establishing a clean desk policy where you encourage your staff to avoid clutter and always keep their desks clean. Next, you can hold training to remind them of the various environmental hazards that abound in a dirty environment.
- Carry Out Routine Inspections: Carry out routine inspections in your office space to identify and record potential hazards. This is also an opportunity for your employees to voice their complaints about the level of hygiene in the office. Look out for frequently used and unused areas in the office alike, and ensure that everything is safe for work. In your routine checks, you should inspect people, tools, processes, and office space.
- Invest in Technology: You can use several tools to keep work areas clean while reducing contact, such as automatic taps, sanitizer dispensers, automatic hand dryers, etc. These tools will increase efficiency while reducing the spread of germs
Strategies for Keeping Employees Feeling Engaged and Inspired
Commercial cleaning services can boost your employees’ morale and make them more productive at work. However, it’s not enough to feel motivated; you need to sustain that drive and motivation. Failure to do so will lead to inconsistent performance levels in the office. Research shows that organizations that engage their employees are 43% more productive than their counterparts who do not. If you want to keep your employees constantly engaged and inspired, try any of the following:
- Maintain open and transparent communication channels.
- Recognize and appreciate employees for their hard work and dedication.
- Set clear expectations and explain the expectations attached to each role.
- Offer learning materials, training, and mentorship opportunities to help them expand their skills and advance their careers.
- Encourage innovation by allowing employees to explore new ideas.
- Listen to employees' feedback and suggestions and implement them where necessary.
- Promote workplace flexibility by including remote options, part-time schedules, etc.
The Impact of Poor Office Hygiene on Employee Health and Well-Being
With regular cleaning, productivity in the workplace will be through the roof. By implication, poor hygiene standards can dampen creativity and efficiency in the workplace. Unfortunately, poor office hygiene does more harm than just to your profits. In 2021, authorities recorded 343 deaths daily among workers due to hazardous working conditions.
These deaths could have easily been avoided if effective cleaning strategies were in place to remove workplace hazards. Besides death, people working in unhygienic spaces are constantly exposed to germs, pathogens, and bacteria that could trigger life-threatening illnesses. These organisms may sometimes trigger allergic reactions like itching, wheezy breathing, etc.
All this comes in addition to the stress, fatigue, and depression that are associated with mental burnout, lack of motivation, and reduced focus. Overall, dirty companies see higher cases of job dissatisfaction and instances of resignation. You could lose your best staff simply because you subjected them to the torture of working in an unclean space.
Ways to Make Comprehensive Cleaning Easier and More Efficient
After searching for “commercial cleaning services near me” and finding one that does a great job, it's possible to hire them and still sabotage their efforts. Yes, you heard that right! Some workplace practices defeat the purpose of comprehensive cleaning and take you back to square one. To ensure comprehensive cleaning becomes easier and more efficient, you should:
- Declutter regularly.
- Update your cleaning procedures.
- Dispose of your waste properly.
- Create a cleaning schedule and follow it religiously.
- Invest in quality cleaning equipment.
Best Practices for Maintaining a Healthy Workplace
About 94% of the respondents in a survey cited safety and hygiene as crucial to their happiness on the job. A good employer will do everything possible to ensure these numbers do not decline. Hiring a commercial cleaning company is a step in the right direction.
However, you should strive to maintain that standard and keep morale high. Some best practices you can adopt to maintain a healthy workplace include:
- Clean and disinfect your workspace often.
- Ensure proper ventilation.
- Create a work-life balance.
- Carry out regular health screenings.
- Conduct safety drills to prepare your staff for emergencies.
- Organize programs on mental health, stress management, and overall wellness.
Workplace hygiene is non-negotiable because it's an investment in your company's most valuable asset: your employees. Workplace cleanliness affects productivity by improving the well-being of your workers. Failure to maintain high standards of cleanliness will lead to many unpleasant consequences, some of which are outlined above.
You need a professional cleaning company to improve your workplace's cleanliness standards. Georgia Facility Services is the answer to all your hygiene challenges. We’ve been tested and proven by numerous companies across diverse industries. Call us now, and let us take your employee morale and productivity to the next level with our cleaning expertise.